Sunday, August 08, 2021

They picked the wrong person

So friends not the first blog post I wanted to do but necessary because I can't keep repeating myself and yet I want to warn people against me being a weirdo for what could be a few days to a few months. It is all unclear. 

Let me be upfront that I am currently dealing with trauma from an incident that happened to me Saturday night after work (8/7/21). I was assaulted and they attempted to mug me.

I'll answer a few common questions first:

No, I am not physically hurt

No I'm not okay, despite me saying I'm okay, really I'm not

Nothing was stolen

Yes I did fight back and save my left over impossible burger from the lunch bag that they thought was my purse.


Ok.....now that those questions are out of the way I'll tell my side.

    After work at Easton I needed gas so I went across the street to the BP. I chose that BP because it had better lighting, more customers and inner pumps that were open. I am very careful of where I choose to get gas because I recognize I am a petite woman typically well dressed that would seem a good target.  I also normally keep brass knuckles on my keys, lock my doors and hold my wallet in my had with my keys to avoid someone stealing my entire car. I also have a night stick under my drivers seat next to my gas tank release button. I am if nothing prepared for this kind of thing. 

    I only had my drivers side door open and I was standing in it checking my phone while the gas was pumping. I had my wallet, car keys and phone in my hand. my back was turned and I saw some kid dive behind in my back into my car and instantly shoved him or some sort of reaction, grabbed the handle of my lunch bag made a guttural yell in his face and continued to play tug o war with my bag while smacking or punch him and he was hitting me back. It went on for almost a minute it felt like so I got a clear look at his face and he was eye level with me so not a tall person at all. He let go of my bag and got in the car and not very quickly him and his buddies drove out. They were slow enough that I thought I had two choices, go run after the car and kick it or try to get a photo.  I tried to take my phone out to get a picture of the car but my credit card and phone dropped to the ground when I was fighting him so I didn't get it in time but I knew the car was a black Toyota Camry 4 door and I committed the symbol to memory.  Then I promptly locked my car completely gathered all my stuff and went inside the gas station, stood in line behind two people and then at my turn asked the manager on duty to call the police and that I needed their camera surveillance footage because I was just assaulted and they tried to rob me. Then as soon as I started to talk to the operator I was a sobbing mess but got out the details "Black suspect looked like a kid with kind of dreaded hair, short, wearing a black shirt and maybe some light colored shorts, no i don't need a medic I'm not hurt just sore"  

    I sat in a chair by the managers office and just cried and texted/called Andy and my brother immediately (for those that don't know my brother is with the Columbus Police Department). I texted my closest friends as I waited for the police.

    Two officers came. Took my account and were surprised with how much detail and information I recalled. Then they went to look at the camera footage and said I was impressive and did a very good job. I remember my yell in his face was not some cry for help or surprise, It was the kind of yell I would do during a Muay Thai fight or class when I am ready to fuck some shit up. After a bit and my brother talked to one of the officers on the phone and I had calmed down some I told them I wanted to move my car and see how I felt about driving. One of them came with me to my car and I got in and started it and just drove it off the pump and to a parking spot and I knew I wouldn't be able to drive home. Andy and Laura came to pick me up. One officer left as there were three more reports of the same kids hitting other people and one officer said he would stay with me till they came. 

The officers told me that they had cased me as soon as I got out of the car. They could see they had been hanging in the parking lot before I got there. While I was on the pump one of them had gotten out of the car and went to my passenger side to scope it out. Then they had gotten back into the car and pulled up and that's when the one kid dove into my car to get what they thought was my purse. Of course to them I looked like an easy rich target, I was dressed up and I drive a decent car with a full face of makeup and my hair was done up. They weren't expecting to get a fight back.

Everything I told them from my side of the story was clearly on camera.


Ending thoughts are:

I saved my leftover impossible burger.

Even though I was extremely cautious from previous experiences when I lived in Chicago it still happened.

Fuckers were lucky I didn't have my brass knuckle or time to reach my night stick. Seeing what my reaction was I would of beat them bloody.

How sad is it that this was teen kids? This behavior has zero future and grim results.

I am a FIGHT not Flight personality, period.

I will never get gas in that part of town again, even if that means I will be late for something.

Please friends this could happen to anyone, it happened to me. Like I said at the beginning I'm not doing so hot. I just wanted to get this out there so if someone asks me I don't need to keep reliving it telling it over and over. I'm giving myself another day before I decided to seek a counselor or not. It's just one day at a time. Currently the thought of driving, and even going near Easton makes me feel sick and tight in the chest. 

I promise next blog post will be on a better happier note, what I really wanted to talk about was turning 40 and my fights and my son turning 6. 

3 comments:

  1. So sorry this happened to you Esther.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This isn't something we should have to worry about and I wish it wasn't something you experienced. I hope you can find peace again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you are physically ok and they are not.
    my cousin Linett and mother live in that part of town.
    I think Dana White needs to hear this story.

    ReplyDelete