For finishing the seams nicely I decided to employ my skills at doing french seams. When doing french seams the most important thing I feel is proper and frequent pressing. I like to do my french seams in this order.
- Sew with wrong sides together 2/8" seam allowance
- Press with iron low steam the tiny seam allowance to one side
- Turn fabric so right sides are together and press at seam closed
- Sew with 1/4" seam allowance (with right sides still together)
- Press french seam to one side
Aren't the results lovely?
After the french seams I put my pleats in to take it from 106" down to a mere 36". I'm very excited for these colors and how this is shaping out. I need to baste down these pleats and then I can start to attach them to the embroidered bodice piece.