Sunday, November 08, 2009

Halloween Highball the Overview and Photo Explosion

That basically says it all in the title.
Overview:  Good intentions but bad organization and not enough attention to the event schedule and how to control it.  Not to forgot there were NO GUIDELINES given to any judges regarding any of the costume contests (especially the Designer Fashion show)

My first Quib was they used the word Couture.  This is for sure NOT a Couture Fashion show in any way shape or form.  You wanna know what Couture is?! Check out the Wiki on it here.  I hate hate HATE the misrepresentation of words especially in fashion.  How people can throw around the word "couture" so much and inappropriately baffles me.  It's like false advertising to me.   They should use the word Avant-garde more often.  It fits better for sure especially being halloween and for the creative costumes.

Judging was just bad....... at least for my portion in the Fashion show they were supposed to judge based only on the costume.  We were supposed to have 3-4 looks that represent us as a designer and then one Huge Costume piece.  They picked the most tamed down collection and the only NON-costume design up there.  Also not the judges fault but the slideshow failed halfway through so no one knew who's designs were coming down second half and the sound was cutting in and out so badly that no one could hear what was being said.
I heard that people thought my MAX costume was my Fashion show Costume and because I was last before Althea Harper a lot of my pieces were mistaken for hers and my costume was assumed to be hers.   During the line up her Costume piece never got back up on stage so mine was last and then the assumptions just rolled.   How irritating eh?  This was a problem last year also because while my pieces went down Terri Stevens name was flashing so much credit and aww was lost.

There were good points about it also!
Definitely made better connections/friendships this year with other designers that were a part of it last year as well.  Hair was AMAZING!   We were provided MUA's this year.  Redress did a wonderful job organizing the transport back and forth for the models and keeping track of models.   I think everyone put in valiant efforts it was just sadly not enough to prevent bad judging, sound, visual and models from stealing garments.

Now for the Photo Explosion with very little commentary from moi!



At the Hair Salon "Phia"

In the line up Waiting............


Creme one shoulder pin tuck and pleated dress


Leather Mutton Sleeved Jacket with Colonial draped skirt




Gingham Silk checkered halter full gown


Just me in my costume


My Costume piece based on a sea anemone





To see more photos from the event this year and last year go here!
I wish I had the room and gusto to showcase everyone but I don't.

Here is a little snippet of Wilde Hunt Corsetry




Models: Angela Makeever, Samantha Trotter, Priscilla Dwomoh, Gloria Nyagea, Carolyn Cline, Ludie Senatus, Patti


Photos: Robert Walker, Rob Manko, Andrew Blight, "Walker Space"

No comments:

Post a Comment