Thursday, January 07, 2010

Criss Cross makes me JUMP JUMP

I had seen these tights posted by Style Bubble and instantly fell in love with them.  Who can seriously afford tights that will snag and ruin eventually that are over a hundred dollars?  Certainly not me. Contemplating this I figured how one could potentially make them on your own if you were so inclined with a masochistic fetish for sewing and pattern work.
The shoes on the other hand I would buy in a heartbeat if I had the income!



The easiest way to do this is getting a skinny jean or legging pattern and then dividing it into your separate sections.  Don't forget to either notch, number or code them in some way so you know how it all pieces back together.  This is all of course with no seam allowance at all (since you are using 4-way stretch materials).
**I would avoid using a wide fishnet in this but if you are DEAD SET on making it the most difficult stretch project ever my advice is use water soluble glue to glue the edges to water soluble facing so that you have something to sew on and then it will dissolve when you wash it or make some 1/4" or less binding for those edges out of a solid 4 way stretch to match your thread.**

  I would avoid using actual tights but getting 1/4 yard pieces ordered from House of Spandex or Spandex World.  As new tights have been manufactured in the round and are not suitable for being cut up and old tights are already stretched so the fabric would not be even.

The Final step is sewing it all together on your serger not sewing machine.  For this project the only thing to bind all these stretch fabrics together is using a 3-thread rolled edge with Woolly Nylon in all the loopers and I would even go so far as the needle.  There is not good way to thread it except with tweezers, needle threader tool and lot's of patience.  There are other stretchable threads advertised but in my experience Woolly Nylon has been the best.  It just has more stretch in it then any of the others I have tried.  not only are they separated nylon strands but they are also loosely braided together to also give a much better finished edge.


No comments:

Post a Comment