Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Purpose without Pattern

An odd phenomenon that I never thought of is how a large majority of knitter's can only do so using patterns.  I almost never use patterns for knitting.  Sure I can write them (check out this earlier post) and make them up to use a pattern to make something is extremely rare for me.  Perhaps this is one of the things that set's me apart from conventional knitter's and why I can easily transpose back and forth from Knitting and crocheting.  The difference between knitting and crocheting for people is another interesting phenomenon.

Currently I am working on a pair of long knitting gloves for myself to go with my cropped black rabbit fur jacket.  It just happened to be a stripe pattern as I knit out this sock yarn.  I like it though.  Happy accidents are all over my knitting projects and that gives them character.
data

It was interesting to work on this as I have never done fingers before.  Trying to gauge that and work around 9 different needle points was frustrating.  There were quite a few times I needed to tear out and re-work.  Right now it is coming along just dandy.  Below you can see a complete thumb!
data

What I really need to do is get back to sewing.  I have two clients and a friend that I need to get some work done for.  One involves revamping a 70's jumpsuit that is 4 sizes too big.  Another is making a fencer inspired jacket with stays and out of patent vinyl.  The last is taking approx 2 yards of hand felted wool into a winter coat.  Not to mention the two skirts I had planned for myself, and winter coat.

No comments:

Post a Comment