Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Sizing it down

One of my most recent projects was working on turning a 70's Jumpsuit into a dress cutting out excess fabric to also potentially make a bowtie and cumberband to match the outfit for my clients Husband and new born boy.

The biggest challenge was taking it from a size 8 to a size 2.  I ended up cutting out approx 3 inches from the side seams on both sides and hand baste the lining afterwards.


There was a lot of pressing and use of weights to keep this huge swathe of a dress behaved as I worked on it.  not to mention pins were in heavy use as this was on the bias for most of the dress.  Working on the pants to dress was not so bad, you just have to find where the crotch ends and straighten it out by removing the crotch curves into nothing at the inseam.  The trick is getting the eact same measurements on both sides.  Also a challenge with the bias hang of the fabric since it wants to stretch as you cut.

**A tip when working in bias, before cutting lay some low stick masking tape about half an inch from where you want to actually cut the fabric.  Also put that tape on the garment part of the fabric and not the excess.  This will help it to keep it's shape in between the cutting and sewing.


There is absolutely no reason to disillusion people about my work space, which also makes it easier for me so I never have to worry about "cleaning up" for a picture.  Yesteryday I saw someone else's new workspace for sewing that they were super excited about.  All I could think was give it 2-3 years and it will be like mine, give it 5 years and you'll have as many machines as I do also.  Hard to believe that I have been sewing for nearly 22 years, since I was 8 years old.

No comments:

Post a Comment